Sisters of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (SVM), an Eparchial congregation in the Archeparchy of Kottayam was founded on 24th June 1892, the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Kaipuzha, Kottayam district even before the erection of the diocese of Kottayam. It was started with the dual intention of Servant of God Mar Mathew Makil providing an opportunity to the women of the knanaya community for religious life and making possible the holistic development of women at large.
Being a great devotee of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Mar Mathew Makil wished very much that the congregation that he would found, accept the spirit of the Sacred Heart as its charism. He named the congregation Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary since he knew that the Order of visitation of Holy Mary in France in which St. Margaret Mary was a member was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Moreover he was inspired by the visitation of Mother Mary to Elizabeth ( Lk. 1: 39-56).
Two widows, Eleeswa Kunnacheril (Sr. Eleeswa) and Mariam Mazhuvancheril (Sr.Margrete) were the pioneers of this congregation. Four girls were also accepted as aspirants on the day of the foundation itself. The charism of SVM is to follow Jesus, gentle and humble (Mt. 11:29) as mother Mary, lead the people of God especially the women to His salvific love and to attain Christian perfection through religious life. The Motto of this congregation is Live + Jesus. St. Francis Sales, St. Jain de Chantal and St. Margeret Mary are the Heavenly patrons of the Congregation. Now there are 604 sisters working in India and abroad, putting into practice with earnestness, the uncompromising faith, deep sense of prayer, exceptional love of the neighbor with which the founding father was blessed.